Tourist Portal of the City Council Pamplona

Remaining

Places of interest

Visit the map to view the main monuments, churches and suggestions for routes around the city.

Go to map

Palace of Navarre

User rating:

Rate

Address

Avenida Carlos III, 1.

Tours for groups of between 25 and 50 by previous appointment only

Building

Located next to the Plaza del Castillo, this mid-XIX building is now the most visible sign of Navarre"s historical identity. The complex, designed in 1840 by José de Nagusia, is home to the Presidency of the Government and a good number of administrative departments. It is more commonly known as “Diputación”.

The façade looking onto Paseo Sarasate is the work of José de Nagusia. The sculptures, which have occupied the niches since 1951, are by Fructuoso Orduna and represent King Sancho VII the Strong and King Sancho the Great. This façade is also decorated with a sculptural group, also by Orduna, which includes the coat of arms of Navarre, flanked by two men: one from the mountains and one from the south of Navarre.

Indoor

Inside, the Main Floor, the administrative, artistic and historical core of the building, is worthy of special mention. The heads of the Government walk its corridors, great decisions are taken and institutional acts are held here. Worthy of particular mention are the Throne Room, used for official ceremonies, the Session Room, where the Government meets in plenary session, the chapel, which dates from 1935, and the President’s Office.

The old General Archive of Navarre, designed by Florencio Ansoleaga, was built next to the Palace in 1896. Its pleasant garden, home to the city’s tallest tree, is quite eye-catching: a Sequoia measuring more than 37 metres. The tree was brought from America by José María Gastón de Echeberz.

How would you rate this page?
Nos interesa tu opnión.